Accelerated metolachlor degradation in soil by zerovalent iron and compost amendments

Sung Chul Kim, Jae E. Yang, Yong Sik Ok, Jeff Skousen, Dong Guk Kim, Jin Ho Joo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

24 Citations (Scopus)


Soil incubation and germination tests were conducted to assess zerovalent iron (ZVI), organic compost, moisture and their combinations on metolachlor degradation in soil. The ZVI alone degraded 91% of metolachlor in soil within 40 days following bi-phasic kinetics. Organic amendment alone facilitated metolachlor degradation in soil up to 60% after 40 days depending on the amendment rate. However, the combination of ZVI with compost amendment at 30 ton ha -1 and 30% moisture content accelerated metolachlor degradation to 90% after 3 days and 98% after 40 days. The half life (t 1/2) of metolachlor degradation with ZVI, compost at 30 ton ha -1, and 30% moisture was about 1 day, which was faster than ZVI treatment alone and 98% faster than controls. Germination and growth of lettuce (Lactuca sativa) and crabgrass (Digitaria sanguinalis L. Scop.) were severely inhibited in unamended metolachlor-contaminated soils but when these soils were amended with ZVI, germination and growth was comparable to controls (metolachlor free soil). Metolachlor degradation was greatest when ZVI, compost and moisture were used together, suggesting that these treatments will maximize in situ remediation of metolachlor-contaminated soils in the field.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)459-464
Number of pages6
JournalBulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 2010 Apr
Externally publishedYes

Bibliographical note

Funding Information:
El primer autor expresa su agradecimiento al Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnolog?a (CONACYT) por la beca otorgada (No. 255768), para la realizaci?n de estudios de Maestr?a, y a la Red de Nochebuena SAGARPA-SNICS-SINAREFI por el apoyo para la realizaci?n de la presente investigaci?n.


  • Degradation
  • Metolachlor
  • Organic amendment
  • Zerovalent iron

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Toxicology
  • Pollution
  • Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis


Dive into the research topics of 'Accelerated metolachlor degradation in soil by zerovalent iron and compost amendments'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this