Amount of fat consumption has gradually increased among Koreans, which is relatively lower than western countries. In the current study, we examined the association between dietary fat and metabolic syndrome (MetS) prevalence among Korean adults. 3,212 participants who are aged 30-74 years from the Korea National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey (KNHANES) VI (2013) were included for cross-sectional analyses. Dietary intake data was assessed using 24-hour recall method, and MetS was defined using guideline of the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment panel III (NCEP-ATP III). Multivariate logistic regression analysis was used to estimate MetS odds ratios, using nutrient density model, according to 5% percent unit of dietary fat intake. The prevalence of MetS was significantly associated with dietary intake of total fat and saturated fatty acid (SFA) after adjustment (odds ratio [OR] 0.984 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.972-0.996; OR 0.946 95% CI 0.915-0.979). When dietary intake of total fat and SFA were substituted for carbohydrate (CHO), ORs for MetS were 0.985 (95% CI 0.972-0.998) and 0.948 (95% CI 0.907-0.990), respectively, after adjusting for potential covariates. In summary, MetS was significantly associated with dietary intakes of total fat and SFA, and when substituting dietary fat for carbohydrate among Koreans.
|Number of pages||9|
|Publication status||Published - 2016|
- Dietary fat
- Metabolic syndrome
- Nutrient density model
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism