We present a high-resolution laser interferometer based on the parallel multipass configuration with a pair of right-angle prisms to increase the optical fringe subdivision order up to 21. In the experiment, a multipass homodyne Michelson interferometer (MHMI) with the fringe spacing of 15 nm was demonstrated, resulting in the displacement measurement with a measurement resolution of 180 pm limited by the sampling rate of the employed analog-to-digital converter. We show that the ultimate resolution of the demonstrated MHMI scales with 1/N and it is estimated to be 8.7 pm for N=21.
Bibliographical noteFunding Information:
This research was supported by the Basic Research and NSL (National Space Lab) Programs through the National Research Foundation of Korea funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology ( 2007-2-C00171 and 2008-2003197 ).
- High-resolution interferometer
- Interference fringe subdivision
- Parallel multipass configuration
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering