This paper reviews different crack tracking techniques in three-dimensions applicable in the context of partition of unity methods, especially meshfree methods. Issues such as describing and tracking the crack surface are addressed. A crack tracking procedure is proposed in detail and implemented in the context of the extended element-free Galerkin method (XEFG). Several three-dimensional cracking examples are compared to other results from the literature or the experimental data and show good agreement.
Copyright 2011 Elsevier B.V., All rights reserved.
- Cohesive cracks
- Discontinuous enrichment
- Extended element-free Galerkin method (XEFG)
- Extended finite element method (XFEM)
- Three-dimensional crack initiation and growth
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- Modelling and Simulation
- General Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science Applications