Predictive value of symptom profiles in patients with suspected oesophageal dysmotility

Young-Tae Bak, M. Lorang, P. R. Evans, J. E. Kellow, M. P. Jones, R. C. Smith

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

3 Citations (Scopus)


Bak Y-T. Lorang M. Evans PR. Kellow JE, Jones MP, Smith RC. Predictive value of symptom profiles in patients with suspected oesophageal dysmotility. Scand J Gastroenterol 1994;29:392-397. The main aim of the study was to determine prospectively, in patients referred for oesophageal manometry, whether certain combinations of oesophageal symptoms are more likely than others to predict the presence of oesophageal dysmotility or a positive response to acid perfusion testing. In 524 consecutive patients, presenting predominantly with (non-cardiac) chest pain (n == 277), dysphagia (n == 186), or heartburn (n == 61), a standardized symptom assessment was completed before oesophageal manometry and acid perfusion testing. Half the patients in each group reported additional ("secondary" oesophageal symptoms as well as the predominant symptom. Oesophageal dysmotility was categorized in accordance with standard manometric criteria for achalasia, diffuse oesophageal spasm, nutcracker oesophagus, hypertensive lower oesophageal sphincter, or non-specific oesophageal motility disorder. In the predominant chest pain group, the prevalence of abnormal manometry was 33%; in the presence of secondary symptoms, especially dysphagia rather than heartburn, however, the prevalence was significantly (p < 0.01) increased. Also in the predominant chest pain group the prevalence of positive acid perfusion testing (44% was significantly greater (p<0.05) in those with than in those without secondary symptoms. In the predominant dysphagia group, the prevalence of abnormal manometry was higher than in the other two groups (56%; p < 0.001) but was not affected by the presence or absence of secondary symptoms; this latter finding was also true for the predominant heartburn group. The distribution of specific manometric disorders in any group was not related to the presence or type of secondary symptoms, although a combination of dysphagia and chest pain discriminated achalasia from other manometric disorders. Additional oesophageal symptoms can thus be useful in predicting the results of oesophageal function testing in patients presenting with non-cardiac chest pain but not in patients presenting with predominant non-obstructive dysphagia.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)392-397
Number of pages6
JournalScandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology
Issue number5
Publication statusPublished - 1994 Jan 1
Externally publishedYes


  • Acid perfusion testing
  • Oesophageal manometry
  • Symptoms

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)
  • Gastroenterology


Dive into the research topics of 'Predictive value of symptom profiles in patients with suspected oesophageal dysmotility'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this